Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My dream...or Yours? (Part II)

 
    I like the cannibal story in the previous post, because it shows vividly how a man's own dream can come to an end...but then he can see God's dream, His plan, gleaming with unmistakable wisdom and glorious grace.
     Here's a poem that shows a heart going through the death of a dream...and then witnessing the birth of one so much better...so much safer...so much wiser...so perfect.


                              My Dream, Your Dream    

                  At times, a dream's brightest hour
                  shines little beyond the moment of conception,
                  for as I work towards my goal,
                  striving to bend and shape,
                  pushing circumstances and people to fit my perception,
                  the dream starts to crack...it splits...then bursts.
                  The brightness fades into a "broken dream".
                              Hope breaks with it.
                              Self is disconsolate.
                  I thought me so right!...and yet,
                  we didn't make it, my dream and I,
                  and it creeps away, licking its wounds,
                  to sulk...and then to die.

                             BUT this is the shining moment of Your dream, Lord:
                             the moment my dream fails.
                             Is it because then You can work,
                             unimpeded by my "bending and shaping",
                             by my puny, pale perception?
                             For in your hands I see a dream start to coalesce...
                             it pulls itself together...and bursts into brilliant perfection!
                             Your glory flares around your dream...fulfilled!
                                        And I marvel...How infinitely wiser than mine!
                                        And I wonder...How often my Self makes me blind!
                                        And I pray,
                                        (as your understanding seeps through to me, and assures),
                                        "Lord, let this ever be MY dream: to be a part of YOURS."
                   *********************************************************     ---Becky Rhon


The psalmist gives us a "mirror" showing what might go through our thoughts and heart...and I think it's an appropriate prayer for when I give up my own dream, and become a part of His.

        "I am laid low in the dust;
        renew my life according to your word.
        I recounted my ways and You answered me;
        teach me your decrees.
        Let me understand the teachings of your precepts;
        then I will meditate on your wonders.
        My soul is weary with sorrow;
        strengthen me according to your word.
        Keep me from deceitful ways;
        be gracious to me through your law.
        I have chosen the way of truth;
        I have set my heart on your laws.
        I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord;
        do not let me be put to shame.
        I run in the path of your commands,
        for You have set my heart free."
                                                           (Psalm 119: 25-32)

               ***************************************************

Isaiah 32:8 says, "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'"  It may mean walking away from my dream, but "the way" will lead me to His dream

God is always ready to reach His arms out to us and pull us into His embrace...and into His dreams!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment