Tuesday, February 21, 2017

"Stand Brave!" ...a poem for when we're not

I was "down"...really "down"!  Too many things seemed to have accumulated, pressing me farther and farther toward "the pits".  It had started with something like a virus or bacteria - but in installments!  I'd get over one symptom, and another would attack, instead of getting them all at the same time.  Week after week.  Not so easy when I already struggle with several chronic illnesses.  Then one morning several other things launched themselves at my mind...particularly, not being able to do so many things I would love to do...that I feel I need  to do...all because of my health  It wasn't easy on  my good husband, and we had quite a time talking, when suddenly he said to me, "We've been looking at this from the wrong perspective."

It became obvious:  our Enemy was having a great time discouraging me...and succeeding!  Then, as Psalm 78:35 says, "And...they remembered that God was their Rock."  After Germán's heartfelt prayers, I started feeling better and better.  Soon...my physical ailments remained, but I had been pulled up...onto my Rock. 

                                                  Stand Brave!

                                       Help me!  My foot's slipping
                                       as pain and fear mock.
                                       "Child, you can't stand firm
                                       unless you stand on the Rock."

                                       So, hand and voice might tremble,
                                       and my knees might knock,
                                       but I can still stand brave...
                                       if I can just reach the Rock.

                                       Lucifer laughs
                                       when my pathway seems blocked,
                                       but he scowls as I skirt it,
                                       still aimed for the Rock.

                                       He smiles
                                       when my path on this shore erodes...
                                       til he sees the courage
                                       your Grace bestows.

                                       He's dismayed
                                       as he watches me grow more bold,
                                       and he fumes
                                       as the powers of your Grace unfold;

                                       for, though the sand where I step's
                                       undermined with each wave,
                                       You pull me up onto the Rock -
                                       and I can now stand brave!
                                                                                                   ----Becky Rhon
******************************************************************

The psalmist wrote:

"Be my Rock of refuge, to which I can always go."  (Psalm 71:3)

"To You, LORD, I call; You are my Rock."  (Psalm 28:1)

"He will set me high upon a Rock."  (Psalm 27:5)
                       *****************************************

Two verses which give us really good advice, especially when "Lucifer laughs":

"Trust the LORD forever, for in God the Lord, we have an everlasting Rock." (Isaiah 26:4)

                              "O come, let us sing for joy to the Lord,
                        let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation."  (Psalm 95:1)




1 comment: