Wednesday, September 18, 2013

HE Never Shuts Them All!

I was so depressed when I thought I wouldn't be able to involve myself in the ministries that were available. I was supposed to be my husband's helpmate!  Then God gave me Revelation 3:8:
 
           "I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door
            that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength,
            yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name."               

I realized that He would never shut ALL the doors! For now, He had shut most of them...knowing as He did (and I could only see in hindsight) that I needed to rest and re-orient myself. I had much to learn...maybe this was the only way I'd stop and process things, and He could reinforce the importance of being ready to walk through the doors HE opened, not necessarily the ones I thought would be best. My strength wasn't the prime factor. HIS strength and wisdom were what carried the day. And all I had to do was "keep His word and not deny His Name". Why do we make it harder for ourselves than it really is? 




                                          Open Door  
              
                                Don't we often pry a door open,
                                knocking over and over again,
                                trying to make it move an inch
                                so we can stick our foot in
                                to keep it from shutting?

                               Or maybe we try a battering ram,
                               heaving it over and over again,
                               watching the door fill with dents,
                               muttering under our breath,
                               "All things are possible"?

                               How much time do we waste
                               begging over and over again,
                               using our tries, cries and sighs
                               to pick the locks
                               which only He has keys to?

                               Sometimes we just sit and stare,
                               wishing over and over again,
                               so sure it's that door;
                               holding our breath...
                               willing it to creak open.

                               Don't we also give up at times,
                               closing our eyes over and over again
                               to any door at all?
                               Choices...doubts...confusion...
                               It's easier to be blind.

                               If you've never seen that door open,
                               you really don't know
                               what's behind it, do you?
                               But He does...
                               that's why it's closed.

                               If it was opened to you once
                               but then He closed it,
                               you would do yourself harm
                               to yearn for what's past,
                               not thinking of what's before.

                               Because, Jesus said, "See,
                               I have placed before you
                               an open door
                               that no one can shut."
                               Do you know what that means?

                               You don't have to force the door open,
                               trying over and over again,
                               stumbling over disappointments,
                               oiling rusty hinges.
                               The door He's pointing to is already open.

                                Are you afraid of what's behind it?
                                Don't be.
                                He'll walk through it beside you.
                                Holding His hand, looking into His eyes...
                                you'll understand.
                                                                                                       (Becky Rhon, Nov. 1986)
                ***********************************************************
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment