Wednesday, April 2, 2014

"I'll never see my son again!"

                       

That was my mother-in-law's concern every time Germán traveled to another country. She was afraid that something might happen to him, but even more afraid that she might die before he returned! When we left for Australia as newlyweds, Mama María (as I and others of my family called her) was only in her 60's, but still worried because we were going so far away, for so long, and might not make it back before she died.  When we came back from Australia after five years, she was content.

  Two-and-a-half years later we moved to Shell, but that was still in Ecuador, and we would travel to Quito several times a year.  After eight years in Shell, we went to the States, for those three famous years in Dallas.  Of course, we thought it would only be a year; we never dreamed it would turn into three.  But even a year was a burden for my mother-in-law, then in her lower 80's.  "I'll never see my son again!"  (Imagine how she felt when she heard he was going to have surgery!)

Mama María had nine children. (One died in infancy.) She was the second wife of Germán's father, who had six children with his first wife.  So there were a total of 15 siblings! Germán was the second-to-last child (of the 15), so he has half-nieces and half-nephews who are older than he is.  But even his full-nieces and nephews are a lot older than our children. His oldest full-niece is only a year younger than I. (His oldest full-sister was married the year I was born!)  Dan and Debbie were the very last of Mama María's grandchildren, and being the offspring of her favorite child, she was very proud of them.

One of the main reasons she doted on Germán was that when his father died, Germán took on the role of "man of the house" (at the age of 13).  Also, he was the last child...she thought.  I think Germán's little sister, born four years later, was a bit of a surprise. (In case you wonder, she and I got along well!  When Germán first took me to meet her, she was nervous and pessimistic. Germán told me later that what won her over was the hug I gave her when we were introduced!)
                                                                                                                                   

Mama María was living with Germán's brother next door when we returned from Dallas, so we saw a lot of her, and she was again happy that she hadn't died before her son came home.  Three-and-a-half months later, it was SHE who traveled to another Land, from which she never returned.  On November 19, 1992, at the age of about 85, Mama María went to her eternal Home.                    
 
Thank God that we don't have to say, "We'll never see her again!", because she is waiting for us in Heaven. I'm sure she was there to greet my father when he made the same trip 11 months ago!

   What a way to start out our first term as full-fledged missionaries with HCJB! We settled into our house, the kids were enrolled in school (Dan in 12th grade and Debbie in 6th), and Germán started acquainting himself with his new responsibilities...                                                  And then a funeral! But not one without hope!


                                        *************************

 Who gives us hope for eternal Life after death?  Let me say it with the lyrics to a short song I wrote, with echoes of Job's assurance:

                            My Father

              My Father, You love me.
              I know that You value your child.
              I know that You now have me carved in the palm of Your hand,
              now and forever.
             
 My Father, I love You.
You know on which pathway I go.
And when You have tested me, then I will come forth like gold:
pure and holy.           
                                                                                                              

My Father, I praise You.
I now see what I only had heard.
Whatever may happen, I know my Redeemer's alive.
My eyes will see Him.  
                                                  -Becky Rhon
         ******************************************


I hope with all my heart that you have met your Redeemer and know that He's alive!  See you next week!

                                                                  






No comments:

Post a Comment