Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I keep looking at my left hand...



I was dismayed!  One day last month, while getting ready to do our grocery shopping, I suddenly realized my wedding ring wasn't on my finger!  Since I lost a lot of weight, the ring has been loose, but I've always managed to keep it on.  I never took it off...except when obligated to (like at the hospital).  Now I had lost my ring.

I left the house with a naked left hand, the first time since we were married 41 years ago.  (Our anniversary is next week.)  I knew I could have another one made, or buy one, but I wanted the original back!  It has my husband's initials and the date of our wedding engraved inside.  We looked around, but couldn't find it. When we got back from the supermarket, I sat down and hurried off a collective e-mail to everyone on our mailing list, asking them to please pray about my ring.

I said in the e-mail, "My hand feels naked, but not my heart!"  Germán is a loving husband who takes good care of me.  But I remembered that God knew exactly where the ring was, and if I were going to be allowed to have it back, He would bring it to light in His time; if not, then He would help me get over the loss.

Whether I found the ring or not, I knew I could count on an unchangeable and unconditional truth, one I could never lose:  God loves me!  He holds me in His hand, and lets me know that He's "there for me"...always.  This poem says it well:

                                              YOU LOVE ME 

               You love me fiercely -- my defense rests in your hands securely.
               You love me gently -- your caress can always reassure me.

               You love with laughter spilling out contagiously to cheer me!
               You love with your unveiling peace that bids me see You clearly.

               You love with justice, firm and fair...and yet You love with mercy.
               Through challenges your love's a well to ease my thirsty journey.

               You love me with a "still, small voice", when I must hush to hear You...
                or fire-spun dance, when I can shout the joy of being near You!

               You love me as my Shepherd, swift to seek me and restore me.
               Your love it is that begs to share the writing of my story.

               You love with patience when I stall...when pain and grief undo me.
               You love me wordlessly...just hold me while your grace flows through me.

               The myriad ways You love me, Lord, must feed the growing flame
               of gratitude for being my Friend, for loving me by name.
              
                              ***************************************** (Becky Rhon)

Four days ago, we were doing some house-cleaning.  Suddenly my husband called out, "Becky, I have a surprise for you." I rushed up the stairs..."My ring???"  He had found it!  I think he was as excited as I was!  How I thanked God! As soon as I could, I again sat down and wrote a collective e-mail, this time letting everyone know how He had answered all the prayers for my ring.
                                    
Now, during the day, I keep looking at my left hand, reveling in the joy of having my ring back where it belongs!
                      *************************************

Sometimes we let things and circumstances distance us from our Father...and when we realize it and seek His company, I imagine He feels about the same way I did when my ring was found...although to an exponential degree!  He revels in the joy of having us back where we belong:  at His side, in His embrace.

"You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."  (Psalm 16:11)
                        *********************************************************

Let's keep to that path of life as we walk beside our Lord this week!




No comments:

Post a Comment