Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"I'll die if they can't come!"

Soon after Debbie left home to start her university studies in the U.S., I wrote in a prayer letter,  "Although Germán and I have what's called an 'empty nest', the house still whispers Dan's and Debbie's names often, and their presence still seems to glow, especially in their rooms."

God was so good to us, providing the means to bring them both home for Christmas year after year. But one year...I thought they wouldn't be able to come, which would have broken my heart.

Germán worked on getting the tickets with our travel agent.  It seemed like we'd get them at a fairly good price.  Then...to my despair...she told him that 1) now the tickets were a lot more expensive, something we didn't know if we could manage; and 2) even worse, there were no tickets available on the date the kids had decided would work with their school schedules, for which there was hardly any leeway.  It was the weekend, and Germán would check in again with the agent on Monday.

I sat down at the computer and wrote my family.  I explained the situation, adding , "I'll die if they can't come!",  and asking them to please pray over the weekend. It was one of the most difficult weekends of my life! The possibility of Dan and Debbie not making it for Christmas was unbearable.

Obviously, I didn't die...so what happened?

When Germán got home Monday afternoon, his news astounded me.  He told me that he and the agent had been reviewing all the ticket possibilities on the computer, and there were still no openings.  Then suddenly, right before their eyes, TWO  - exactly two - cancellations appeared on the screen!  (What would we have done if it had been only one?)  That wasn't all:  the seats "just happened" to be for exactly the day we needed...AND at the cheaper price!  The agent snapped up the two tickets for us  immediately.  Our kids would be coming home!

God would have had every right to say to me, "Oh, ye of little faith!"  Years later, I am still amazed and flooded with gratitude when I remember.  It was simply too incredible to be just a coincidence.

************************************************************************************************

"I will sing of the love of the Lord forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.  I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that You established your faithfulness in heaven itself....O Lord God Almighty, who is like You?  You are mighty, O Lord, and your faithfulness surrounds You."  (Psalm 89: 1,2,8)

"I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.  I will meditate on your works and consider all your mighty deeds."  (Psalm 77:11,12)

You might say that these verses sum up the purpose of my blog.  As I write,  I "sing" and "declare" and "remember" how God has blessed us... protected us... led us...taught us...tried us... given us reason after reason for praising Him.  Have you been remembering how He has blessed you?  




No comments:

Post a Comment