Wednesday, December 24, 2014

"And then...I saw Him!" A Lamb's Story

 



 
                                        A LAMB WENT TO BETHLEHEM

          As soon as the shepherd set him on the ground, the little lamb bounded
          over to his mother, his excitement a visible aura around him.
          "Momma!  I saw Him!  I saw Him!"
          "Here," said the ewe, "come lay down and tell me all about it."

          "Well, you heard the angels...the shepherds must have thought we couldn't
           understand, because they were gonna just leave us all here in the field!  (Thank
           goodness the angels are smarter  One of them picked me up and stuck me in
           Caleb's arms.  He knew one of us had to go along to Bethlehem!)

          "The stable was so nice...and all the humans were gathered around the manger,
          so I guessed the Baby must be in there.  But I couldn't see!  So I rubbed my
          head against Caleb's legs till he finally picked me up so I'd stop annoying him!
          And then...I saw Him!"                                                                    

          The lamb's voice trailed off as his face lit up, remembering his first glimpse of
          God's Son.

          His mother nuzzled him.  "Come on, don't leave me in suspense.  What did He
          look like?  Did He wear a teeny little golden crown?"
          "Oh, no, Momma!  He..."

          "Did He have a teeny little scepter in His hand?" his mother cut in.
          "Momma, listen!  He..."
          "Oh, I bet He was wearing a teeny little purple robe.  Of course.
          How splendid!"  She seemed to have forgotten her own son.
          "Momma?"

          "What a sight!  A small human child...I do hope the robe was well
          wrapped about Him.  Human babies have a deplorable lack of wool to
          keep them warm."
          "Momma," the little lamb cried, "Please listen to me!
          He didn't look like that at all!"

          After a surprised silence, the ewe asked,  "No?  Then...
          what did God's Baby look like?"
          Again her son's face reflected his starry awe.
          "Momma", he said, "He looked just like me!"
                                        
                              *************************


"John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.'"  (John 1:29)

This Christmas, may we all be able to say, "And then...I saw Him!"       




No comments:

Post a Comment