Wednesday, February 25, 2015

No!! Don't put the snake in with the baby!

My grandson Micah is a voracious reader.  He loves books!  Reading at a level well beyond his 7 years, he has a rather eclectic interest in reading material.  He came to mind the other day when I saw that someone had recommended that his folks get him the "children's" book series that is so popular these days, books filled with wizards, magic and violence.  "No!",  I thought, "not MY grandchildren!"
                  **********************************
Not long after, I had a dream.  A vivid, heavy dream that left me on the alert.  In it, I was sitting on a bed, and someone's little boy was laying down under the covers.  There was a very long green snake in the area, and suddenly it was on the bed beside me.  In order to confine it and keep it under control until someone came to deal with it, I stuffed it under the blankets.

In the dream, I continued talking and reading...until I suddenly realized what I had done:  I had put the snake under the covers...where the baby was!  I tore the blankets away, and my heart froze.  The snake was just finishing up swallowing the little boy.  All I could see was the top of his head.  I frantically searched for ideas of what to do...couldn't find any...then I woke up.
                      *********************************

One of the first things that came to mind then was the series that had been suggested for Micah. In it, the "heroes" are those who know magic, and they lie, steal and murder.  There is torture, drinking of animal blood, spells and incantations, revenge, humans beings possessed and controlled by spirit beings, necromancy...

Unfortunately, it's NOT all fantasy! I read a letter from an ex-witch who said that all the spells and incantations are exactly the ones used in the occult. She called the series "orientational and instructional manuals of witchcraft woven into the format of entertainment."  A real wizard wrote that he loved the books because the spells described were exactly the same occult formulae he used! 

I'm horrified that there is action being taken to make this series a part of public (gov't) education. If that happens, then I say, "Blessed are those whose children are NOT in the public school system."  I also read some comments from young children who say they'd love to learn to handle magic so they could get even with others, and be able to do all those things.  And you know kids...when they read something, they usually want to know if it works in the "real world".  They are researching all this stuff on the Internet, trying to learn all they can, craving the magic, craving the power.

No, it's not all harmless fantasy. It's dangerous.  Many Christian parents won't let their kids read these books. (Bravo!)  Sadly, there are some who think the books are great fun!  But I also learned in my research that even some NON-Christian parents have become concerned about the fear they see in their kids after reading these books.  Now the author has said that in future books the protagonist will be "doing things with girls".  Great...just what our kids need.
                               **************************************

What we let our children read and see is what feeds into their minds. If we let them read inappropriate and dangerous material, that's what stays in their heads...and hearts.  Why pollute them?..at any age...but especially so young!  (Our beloved Micah is only seven!!)  It's like putting the snake in with the baby!  Let's not give our Enemy the opportunity to plant these seeds in our precious children's lives. If we're not careful, the day will come when we realize what we've done and find that The Snake has already begun to swallow them!
             **********************************************************

You may wonder if I'm against fantasy.  Not at all!  I love fantasy.  But not when it involves such insidiously-introduced emphases on the occult, with skewed morality. I grew up in an area where there were real witchdoctors.  I have had personal experience with, and heard first-hand reports of, the powers and activities of Satan and his evil spirits.  They're not a joke.  They are very real...and nothing to play around with.  But we must fight them with the power of God, NOT with occult magic.  God's power can protect us and destroy them...ONLY God's power.  Now, THAT's what we should make sure our kids grow up learning...protection and freedom from the Enemy comes only from the mightiest Source of Power there is!
                  ********************************************************

I was thrilled when Dan told me that he and KC feel uncomfortable about letting our smart, perceptive, active Micah read this particular series of books.  Good for them!  I'm sure Debbie and Steve feel the same way about what they let their girls read, what movies and programs they let them watch.  I pray that more and more parents will come to similar conclusions and decisions.

Have a wonderful week, full of God's peace, nestled in His arms of freedom and protection...and very, very great love! 






No comments:

Post a Comment