Friday, August 25, 2017

Meditations of a sort-of-Cyclops (sigh!)

As I woke up Wednesday morning, my left eye
signaled its great unhappiness.  It didn't like the feeling of a "foreign object" encroaching on its delicate cornea!  Since I agreed with the sentiment, I carefully opened the lids, trying to dislodge said object.  Didn't work.  So I waited impatiently till Germán woke up and enlisted him in my endeavor.  He didn't find anything.  So we went to his lovely niece Alma, an ophthalmologist.
               ****************

Apparently, whatever got into my eye did its damage and then high-tailed it out before we could catch it. It was only a tiny cut, so she put a patch over my eye (see picture) so it would rest and heal, AND so I could still see out of the other eye without discomfort.  Supposedly. It wasn't all that easy.

Not accustomed to being one-eyed, I couldn't see too well even then.  Depth perception was impaired.  (The next  morning, I managed to get the toothpaste to drip down the side of the toothbrush...instead of onto the floor!)    

I couldn't read, as my reading glasses didn't fit properly over the patch, whose tape tentacles reached up over part of my nose.  So I mainly lay on the couch and listened to the news...and thought...
                                                     *******************

I thought of the eyes of our heart and soul. I thought of I Cor. 13:12: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then we shall see face to face."  Even with two good spiritual eyes, we can't see everything about our Father...yet.

In the O.T. we often see verses like Judges 21:15: "All the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes." And that always boded ill!  It didn't work then and it doesn't work now...

...because: "The LORD sees not as a man sees...the LORD  looks at the heart."  (I Sam. 16:7)

The psalmist said, "The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes."  (Ps. 19:8)  So the best thing we can do is adopt his pleas as our own:
--"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law."  (Ps. 119:18)
--"Turn my eyes away from worthless things..."  (Ps. 119:37)
                                                 *************************

   Paul wrote these beautiful words to his readers...and that includes you and me!

                      "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened 
                                          in order that you may know 
                                   the hope to which He has called you."
                                                   (Ephesians 1:18)               
                                                     ***************





No comments:

Post a Comment