Monday, September 11, 2017

In case you missed my poem on "Septermber 11, 2001" ("WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?)

Wild winds, destructive floods, unrelenting rains...hurricane after hurricane...but the heart and soul of the people living through them, though battered, will not give up.  They will reach out to each other, pull each other up, instill hope, and rebuild.

I have seen this already, watching the news - about the storms, but also about the ways people are holding up, helping, encouraging...pressing on in the determination to not allow this disaster to take heart and soul from them.

In the midst of the attacks of Nature,  the U.S. , along with other countries, remember the greatest man-made attack of its history, when terrorists tried to destroy our hearts and souls...September 11, 2001.  They tried to take heart and soul...but couldn't do it.  I pray to God they never will!

I wrote this poem in the days after the event, and included it in a blog post several years ago.  Since some of you may never have seen it, or read it so long ago that you don't remember it, here's the link to that post.  (Note: when you open it, just scroll down a ways til you come to the poem.)


"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?"...MY 9-11 POEM


Whatever calamities threaten, those who have learned to trust in the Almighty God and have given themselves to his keeping, can echo the psalmist's prayer of confidence in his power and kindness.

"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in You I take refuge.  I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed."     (Psalm 57:1)





No comments:

Post a Comment