Monday, May 19, 2014

Just curious, God! (My mother is dying...part 2)

When we left Winona Lake to come back to our daughter's house on Saturday, we stopped in to see my mom one last time.  A few tears surfaced as I realized it might be the last time I'd see her alive.  On the way out, we talked to the head nurse, who said she felt Mom was on the verge of her final downhill slump, but still going to be around for a while, and that if we were away this week with Debbie and Steve, we wouldn't miss anything.  I wondered how Mom's poor heart could go on working at all!  How had she managed to speak, sing along with us - just snatches, to be sure, but sing she did! - and ask for specific songs, and eat her strawberry ice cream!


Today, only two days later, my sister told me that last night Mom took a severe nose-dive, is only barely responsive, and is on morphine continuously. One of my sisters-in-law is a nurse, and it's her opinion that our mother might be in Jesus' arms, and greeting our father, as early as tonight. 

We had planned to all drive over (along with Debbie, Steve, Liliana and Miriam) for one final visit on Wednesday, thinking that we simply wouldn't be here for her death and funeral.  We had been wondering what God was doing...I mean, He worked it out for us to be here, covered the fee of our ticket extensions and everything, and my younger brother also was able to be here and extend his ticket...but if it was for the purpose of us all being here when our mother dies, why is she suffering on? We are scheduled to leave in a week, and my brother this Friday. What are You doing, God? (Just curious!)

Now, with this development, it looks like it could very likely turn out like we thought He was going to make it turn out! 

I can also see another gift He has given us, which is every bit as important: as we've been going through Mom and Dad's personal effects, we've been able to talk and laugh and cry, (but mostly laugh), remembering events from our common past, finding things we didn't even realize existed...and things we made Mom as children that she never got rid of - she kept them for decades...because her children made them for her!  We found things like her high school year book, her baby book, and Pogo comics from 1952!  She left me our grandmother's china.  We have been discovering more of who our parents were, and how they may have seen the events in our lives, from their perspective. What a lovely gift!

Thank You so much, Lord! 

1 comment:

  1. What a difficult time, made sweeter by sibling love in a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete