Thursday, June 2, 2016

A Silly Poem...laughing as a couple

I can't remember what got into me when I wrote this poem, it was so long ago! I do recall that about that time, one bone of contention cited in couples was that one of them squeezed the toothpaste tube in the middle...which drove the one who squeezed it at the bottom end  crazy! ("Everybody" knows the tube should be squeezed from the bottom end, right?)
                                         ********************************

                                          I was asked why so seldom
                                          my husband and I are
                                          seen to fight.
                                          Does it seem such a riddle?
                                          "Our toothpaste's the reason,
                                          I'm sure", I replied.
                                          "See, we both squeeze the tube
                                          in the middle!"                                 
                                                   **************                      -Becky Rhon

I never gave it a title. (Never thought it would need one!) You know, I think I wrote this before I was married, so maybe the poem should be "attributed" to Becky Moore.  (Unless the poem would prefer not to be!)
                                 *********************************************

My husband and I use separate toothpaste tubes and we both squeeze them at the end. We have had differences relating to many other issues, some laughed-off, some taking their toll, but one thing I learned early on.  Marriage is greatly helped along by laughter!  (Note: laughing with each other, not at each other.) Besides just having fun together, humor can diffuse tense situations.

Germán and I find something to laugh at every day.  Actually, it might be  just as appropriate to say that laughter finds us!  And when it does...we welcome it.  When I think of something funny when my husband isn't around, I'll tuck it away in my mind to bring out when he needs a laugh to lift his spirits.  (Not that I can always find it easily...but eventually it'll show up!)
                                    *******************************************

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength."  (Proverbs 17:22)  Since both my husband and I battle health problems, we can testify to the truth of this!

We have  lived through tough times, rewarding times, great occasions, hilarious moments, dramatic "adventures", desert-dry periods...but after 42 1/2 years of marriage,  I think of Psalm 126:2-3:

"Then our mouths were filled with laughter and our tongues with joyful songs.  Then the nations said, "The LORD has done spectacular things for us.  We are overjoyed."
                                      ********************************************

Friend, if you are struggling, and laughter is lacking from your life, I pray Job 8:21 for you:

"He {God} will once again fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy."

                                             **************************

                                      Father, You invented laughter.  Thank You!




No comments:

Post a Comment