Tuesday, September 6, 2016

I had always wanted...just once in my life!

Look carefully at the airline tickets in the picture. What do they show that could have (very pleasantly) shocked me?
***************************
My travelling to the U.S. for the three-week visit with kids and grandkids - that I have written about in the last two posts - started with a tremendous surprise.  When I saw that my seat was in row 2, I thought maybe this particular plane didn't have a first-class cabin.  But when I boarded...there was the first-class cabin, and there was my seat! (I asked the flight attendant, just to be sure!)

When I switched planes in San Salvador, I was still in first class. Once I got to Chicago, and Steve, Debbie, Liliana and Miriam picked me up, Debbie told me that it was Dan's doing...and that he'd said, "But tell her not to get used to it!"

I assumed that the trip down to Orlando, two weeks later, would be on a regular ticket.  So I was really surprised when it turned out I was in first class again!

They were the most relaxed, least stressful flights I've had for ages! So much leg room, softer seats,  meals on china (set on a cloth place mat) and metal silverware...flight attendant at your service for whatever...even the restroom exclusively for first-class passengers!  It was so much fun! (Even checking in had special perks.)

I doubt Dan even knew that one of my little "dreams" was to travel first class just once in my life...just to see what it was like.  I never figured it would ever happen.  We always fly in the "commoners'" section.  Because he travels so much, Dan has a huge store of frequent-flyer miles, and used some to get me the tickets, to give me a surprise.  (Thanks again, Son!)
 
                    ******************************************************
As Proverbs 13:19 says, "It is pleasant to see dreams come true..." or, in another version, "A fulfilled desire is sweet to the soul..."

Even if Dan hadn't known of my dream, God did, and He used my son to make it come true. Jesus said, "So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask Him!"  (Matthew 7:11)  (Although, to be honest, I don't remember ever asking specifically for this - but God knew!)
                    *******************************************************

Orlando was chosen as a place to get together because Dan had a conference to go to there.  He would always attend in uniform, as in this photo with us.

In the photo below, Micah dons his dad's beret, as Eli peers around (maybe to make sure he got in the picture, too!)

We've been back in Quito for a couple of weeks now, but the whole adventure will stay in our memories as long as we live.  (Unless we get Alzheimer's!)

How we thank our heavenly Father who "gives good gifts"!
              **************************



1 comment: