Wednesday, April 1, 2015

TWELVE YEARS OF HAIR... ON THE FLOOR!


It's been around 12 years since I had my hair cut.  The last several years the reason has been simple: I didn't trust anyone to leave it the way I wanted...or rather, needed.  Due to health problems, it has become difficult to hold my arms over my head for very long.  So I needed a  cut that would make my hair behave itself and not go wandering around on its own...which was going to be a challenge (I thought) because the only way I knew to have that happen was to use rollers, a blow-dryer or a curling iron to help straighten it enough to be able to do anything with it...all of which would require me to hold my arms up over my head!

This may seem trivial, but my hair is naturally curly...very curly, and also frizzy...very frizzy.  Growing up, my mother always had them cut my hair really short...about the only way to tame the wayward curls and avoid the broom-like havoc added by its frizziness.  But I always wanted long hair!

After high school I let it grow, and didn't cut it again for quite a few years.  Even then, though, I always wore it at least shoulder-length. When putting it in curlers became too much, I decided to just forget it.  In order to control it, I had to tie it back off my face, into a pony-tail that hung farther and farther down my back.  Rather "school-marm"-ish, but once it was done, I could forget about it for the rest of the day!  (To have an idea, just scroll back three posts to a picture of me there.)

I knew exactly what I needed: a master hair-stylist who would give me a cut that required virtually no extra work (I don't even dye my hair), and would settle into place with just a brush-through.  I didn't know who I could trust...so I kept putting it off.

My sister, here for some medical and dental work, treated me to a manicure-pedicure-hair-cut for my 61st birthday present.  We went to check out a salon, and were hopeful when, after I explained what I needed, the guy said, "I'd have to look at your hair."  Assess what to do, before giving a verdict.  That sounded promising. Maybe he could do it!  Maybe I could trust him.

We went to our appointment a few days later.  And he did it.  He actually did it!  The photo above shows what I look like now.  He must have cut it differently than anyone else ever had, because it's the first time I've been able to care so easily for shoulder-length hair.  I would have done this long ago if I'd known I'd get this result.  But I had been reluctant to trust.  (I mean, what if the person who cut it assured me it would be just like I wanted...and then it turned out not to be?  I'd be stuck...no way to glue the hair back on!)
                      *****************************************************

I wonder...don't we do this with God sometimes?  We need to ask Him for something, but we're not sure the results will be what we want...or need...or think we need.  It's hard to trust.  At least, with things as they are now, I can have some kind of control over the situation. If He steps in...what if I can't handle it?  What if He plunges me in over my head?  What if I'm not prepared to face what He brings?

"The Father knows {w}hat you have need of..." (Matthew 6:32)

"Ask and it shall be given you, seek and you shall find..." (Matthew 7:7)

"Trust in the Lord...delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."  (Psalm 37:3-4)

Do we really think that He'd give us something we couldn't handle...with His help...if it's the very best thing we could possibly have?  He knows exactly what we need (even if we don't), and the most efficient way to make it happen.   

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  (James 1:17)

(Then we get what He sends and see how awesome it is and think, "I would have done this long ago if I had known I'd get this result." How ironic!)
            *************************************************************

Let's let this week be one of growing trust in the Father who loves us more than we could ever comprehend!



No comments:

Post a Comment